Sunday, April 22, 2012

book review: The Hunger Games

As you probably know by now. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a worldwide phenomenon. With the opening of the movie, this book has been introduced to the entire world, and boy has it ever taken off! To say it is the next Harry Potter or Twilight, I would guess, at this point, is a safe bet. However, seeing as I loathed both of those franchises, I was a more than little hesitant to get invloved in this one. Oh how I was wrong! I will prefacate this by saying I have only read the first book in the trilogy - and I have heard that the remaining two aren't nearly as strong.
The Hunger games, at its heart is a wonderfully painful story. It is about teenage love, unwavering loyalty and struggle, mixed with a bleak outlook for the future of mankind. Hollywood and their machine have turned this into an advertising blitzkrieg.  None of that would be possible if it weren't for a great book to base it all on. That is exactly what The Hunger Games is...a great book.  It is one of the best I have read in a long time. It is written on a YA level, so as not to be too sappy or wordy - which I love, and it was a fairly quick read, which left me thirsty for the next installment.
 Overall, I say that Suzanne Collins deserves every bit of the praise that will be coming her way... She has authored one of the best YA books to come down the pike in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment